Wednesday, November 10, 2010

People Need the Lord

I opened my eyes, and the romanticism of missionary life was gone. I saw the filth, the dirty kids, the endless round of mundane activities, and human beings as they are without refinement and manners to make them appear more sophisticated than they are.

And I wondered, Do they ever think about the purpose or purposelessness of their lives? Do they feel the meaninglessness of life without a God to love and a heaven to look forward to? Especially where there are no artificial distractions, where each day is a monotonous round, and every coming year holds more or less the same, don't they get an empty feeling? I can see it and feel it. What would it be like to grow up in this village, and not know that there is a God, that He loves you, and that there is a better world after this? I still need to try to imagine what that would be like better.

A question for us: Are we content to live our own lives under the "security blanket" of the blessed hope, or will we give our lives to make it ours and to give others hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment